Muladhara Chakra: Stability. Vitality. Connection to nature, to the essential life force that enables our existence in this physical form. That slowness and steadiness that wins the race.
These are the key qualities of the Earth element, and in a human being such as yourself, they’re expressed through the energy of Muladhara chakra, the first chakra or “root chakra” located at the base of the spine. Muladhara may be the “lowest” chakra but it’s extremely important, both in your daily life and yoga practice. Think of it as your base of support, or like your battery that powers your whole system.
In life, it gives you the energy to accomplish whatever you set your mind to, and the stability to remain grounded and unshaken by circumstances. In hatha yoga, a tantric practice where you make use of all the powerful energies available in life, Muladhara is also essential. It’s the solid foundation that allows you to go high, providing the raw energy that fuels your practice.
The more you work to move energy upwards to the higher chakras, the more important it is to have a strong base in Muladhara chakra. And in tantric lovemaking, of course, having a lot of vital energy makes all the difference!
Sexuality on Muladhara Chakra
Sex in the energy of the root chakra is raw, earthy and animalistic. It’s very physical and intense, but not the intensity that flashes bright and then burns out. This is the type of lovemaking that can last all night! Your hands are firm and steady on each other. The rhythm is slow and steady, the thrusts deep, like the earth itself is making love through your bodies…
It’s not about playing games with your partner, just going wild together and letting your bodies meet according to their deepest primal instincts. If your lovemaking takes place out in nature, rolling around in the dirt underneath leaves and open sky, so much the better!
Women naturally have stronger vitality than men, by a lot. It’s what gives a woman her incredible orgasmic power, but it means a tantric man has to work a lot on his root chakra to keep up with her! So how to know if your Muladhara is on point, or if you need to work on it?
Signs of a strong, balanced Muladhara Chakra:
- You feel a lot of energy like you can keep going all day without wearing out
- Your body feels strong and healthy
- You don’t worry too much about unnecessary things
- You feel generally stable, grounded and content
- You feel connected to your body
Signs of a weak or imbalanced Muladhara:
- You have low vitality and get tired easily
- You suffer from constant fear, especially around your survival and basic needs (hypochondria or paranoia, for example)
- You feel ungrounded like your life could be swept away at any moment
- You get sick often and recover slowly
- You feel disconnected from your body
- You tend to get greedy or attached to material possessions
How to Improve Your Muladhara
Whether you’re lacking energy in Muladhara chakra, or the energy is imbalanced or has impurities, here are some ideas to charge up your root chakra and bring it into harmony.
- Asanas: Since Muladhara is vitally important for the practice, hatha yoga teaches many asanas that increase and harmonize the energy of the root chakra. These asanas tend to bring an amazing feeling of stability and regeneration, especially if you practice them for a long time.
- Pranayama: Hatha yoga also includes pranayama (breathing) techniques specific for Muladhara chakra. More than the asanas, these techniques work on the subtle aspects of Muladhara, bringing stability and grounding in the mind and emotions.
- Diet: Food in general is related to Muladhara, so eating a good nourishing diet will already support your root chakra, especially if you emphasize solid, grounding foods, like root vegetables.
- Connecting with the earth: To connect to the earth element, you can connect right to the earth itself! Spending time in nature is the best for Muladhara. Walk barefoot, sit on the ground (naked if possible), bury yourself in dirt… Try to get in touch with the rhythm of nature, the simple contentment of just being at a slower pace.
- Lovemaking: Try making love in the style I described earlier. Sexuality is a powerful way to encounter and purify the energy at different levels. Even if this isn’t your preferred sex style, give it a try to feel the world of Muladhara chakra from within.
Exploring the elements is an amazing path of self-discovery and empowerment. If you’re inspired, check out our brand-new free masterclass, “Journey through Chakras and Elements,” available here.